Stay Safe in Cold Weather
With below freezing temperatures in the upcoming forecast, EREC reminds members to take cold weather precautions. Here are some tips to remember during the extreme temperatures:
- Dress in several layers of clothing to trap body heat. Outer garments should be tightly woven and water repellent.
- Wear gloves, a hat that covers your ears, a scarf that covers your mouth and sturdy waterproof boots when outside.
- Go indoors when you begin to feel cold.
- When utilizing heating sources such as your fireplace, wood stove or space heater, take the necessary safety precautions. Keep a fire extinguisher handy, and be sure everyone knows how to use it properly. Test smoke alarms.
- Never use a generator inside your house or in partially enclosed areas even if the windows are open. Generators, barbeque grills and camp stoves should only be used outdoors.
- Never leave children or pets unattended near a space heater, fireplace or wood burning stove.
- Check on your neighbors. Seniors and infants less than a year old should never sleep in a cold room and should be dressed in warm clothing to prevent the loss of body heat.
- Bring pets indoors or provide some type of heat source. Provide them fresh water as well.